mothballs + elbow grease

Hello my little cupcakes! Firstly, I will apologise for not posting any OOTD with my recent buys, but fair to say if you live in the UK that the weather is typically British.. you know, rain, chilly, windy! However, it is meant to be improving by the end of the week so I shall post some on Thursday/Friday when I can use the camera at my dads. 

On a completely different topic, has anyone been watching the select committee grill the Murdoch's and Rebecca Brooks at Westminster? I find it totally intriguing to see how people act under pressure and under scrutiny. I was especially amazed when a protester got in and threw a plate of 'shaving foam' over Rupert. I mean fair enough that he may have done wrong, but he is heading onto 85! Respect your elders at least. Sorry, rant over ha!

I remember a while ago on a trip to Seahouses with my mam, she bought some books about origins & meanings of sayings that are used regularly in our vocabulary. I thought I'd pick out a few of my favourites and  give you an insight into our good old sayings!

'Put a sock in it'
This impolite way of asking someone to quieten down is said to come from the days of wind-up gramophones  where the sound came out through a horn. In lieu of a volume control, it was said that a sock was the most efficient way of muffling the sound.

'Wrong side of the bed'
When someone gets up in a bad mood, he'she is said to have 'got out the wrong side of the bed'. On a more literal level, the 'wrong' side was considered to be the left, and to get out on the left side of the bed was to invite misfortune. You only need to know that our word 'sinister' is the Latin word for 'left'.

'Going the whole hog'
This means to do something completely and thoroughly, with no half measures. The saying may well stem from the careful practice in days gone by of using every part of the household pig when it was butchered, to supply meat for the coming winter. 

'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'
This well known piece of dietary advice may be an early forerunner of the current belief among dieticians that our health improves when we eat five portions of fresh fruit and veg a day!

'Bless you!'
Many of us do tend to say 'bless you' when we sneeze. Sneezing on different days of the week was once believed to have had a bearing on your future.. Sneeze on a Monday, you sneeze for danger.. Sneeze on a Tuesday, you kiss a stranger.. Sneeze on a Wednesday, you sneeze for a letter.. Sneeze on a Thursday, for something better.. Sneeze on a Friday, you should sneeze for sorrow.. Sneeze on a Saturday, your sweetheart tomorrow.. Sneeze on a Sunday, your safety seek, the devil will have you the whole of the week.

Hope you enjoyed :-) much love xoxo

Comments