a tattoo is for life.. not just for Christmas

Tattoos are not for everyone, they are like marmite. You either love them or hate them. For me it was love at first site, I'm 18 and have two, with the desire for many more. Although some people say that their body is their canvas, for me they have to mean something.



this was my first tattoo a few hours after getting it done. However it looks different now as I got it shaded in on Saturday just gone. As this was my first tattoo I really researched into the pain, aftercare and such. From my own experience I would give this tattoo a 2/5 for pain rating. The outline didn't hurt too much, although it is one of the most sensitive areas to get a tattoo it didn't really hurt that much, I just kept comparing it to childbirth.. not that I know what that is like yet. Getting the shading done hurt even less than the outline, it was sort of just a ticklish kind of pain. Although at the time of getting this it didn't really have a meaning thinking about the whole design of it over the past few years has brought a meaning to it for me. At the time I just loved it, for over a year I just sat in class drawing this onto my wrist at every given opportunity. However now I think that with them being the card suit symbols, to me it symbolises taking risks is life. Take every opportunity that may come your way. You may never get that chance again, and if taking it doesn't work out then oh well. Taking risks is important. Live your life to the fullest!! 


This is my second tattoo. 'Each day is a gift, not a given right', taken from the Nickelback song.. If Today Was Your Last Day. I've wanted this tattoo for over a year now and my step mam said she would pay for it as my present for getting into univeristy! I took my design to a shop and she gave me this script. It's just a beautiful script. Although the tattoo is a lot larger than I originally wanted, I'm pleased, it stands out a lot better. I got the tattoo just below the right side of my bra/boob area, the rib area. This is one of the painfullest places to get a tattoo.. and on this one I would have to agree. It wasn't overly painful that I couldn't stand, I think it was more the fact that I had to lie in an awkward position in order for him to do it on my side.. however.. where the script is long, for example of the 'g' it really did hurt to a point where I wanted to cry! Not going to lie though I'm over the moon with the finished product it's beautiful. When it has healed properly I shall post a better picture as this is just after it was done.. hence the redness and my body covered in ink. The meaning of this tattoo is important to me, yes, you may think 'well it's from a song, why would it mean anything to you'.. but to me it does. To me it's a reminder to take risks, be happy, be wild & crazy and to live life to the fullest. You never know when life can get taken away, either a family member or yourself. I can't put it into any simpler words than my actual tattoo. Don't dwell on the past as things can't be redone, each day you live is a gift from god and that in itself is something special.





Tattoo the pristine flesh
What is permanent anyway?
This ink only lasts 'til the grave,
Skin and ideas decompose
That which we did compose.
~Corri Alius



My body is a journal in a way.  It's like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist.  ~Johnny Depp


What tattoo(s) do you have? Is your body a canvas for your art?
xoxo

Comments