WHO WANTS TO BE THIS YEARS BRIT GIRL?..

As soon as I saw this pop up on the Company Magazine Facebook page I instantaneously knew this was for me. Calvin Harris, Ibiza. In 500 words or less you had to write a review on a gig you had been to, yes this was more of a general event but I went to see the main act. To me it felt like a one on one session, beyond amazing! This was my entry..


I knew when arriving in Ibiza it was going to be the best holiday of my life, looking back I completely underestimated how much I was going to fall in love with the whole place. Calvin Harris at Amnesia, August 18th 2011. IBIZA.  I promised myself a ‘relaxing’ night, a few cocktails and pubs. However after seeing that my favourite artist was in Ibiza I knew I would regret for the rest of my life not going. Literally the biggest and best night of my life, going out on about 5 hours sleep from the past 48 hours, hitting our favourite west end bars me and my best friend tanked up on absinthe to avoid paying the €10+ amount for an alcoholic beverage in Amnesia, we had been pre-warned. We arrived at Amnesia via a party bus. Waiting for my favourite artist to come, the atmosphere was buzzing, electric, spine chilling. I could even say a little frightening; it was just crazy, full of hundreds of people all to see the same guy. From wall-to-wall the place was jam packed. Just amazing. It came to around 2am and there it was.. Those infamous beats of Calvin Harris, an outstanding artist and DJ that I had been following since the beginning of his career. Attempting to get as close to him as possible as those beats began to build we ran and we wriggled our way to the front, along the way having drinks poured over us and guys grabbing us. All worth it just to be there within a few metres of him. Squished together at the front, no room to move, getting hit here, there and everywhere, arms flying all over. It was beyond crazy. No word of a lie, sweat was literally dripping from the walls, the smell I couldn’t begin to describe it was that overwhelming, but it didn’t matter. The atmosphere was so surreal, to think I was actually there. ‘Awooga’ one of Calvin Harris’ less well known songs came on, me and my best friend brought out our dance move, ‘the gun’, surprisingly enough everyone followed us! Then his most recent song at the time and one of his largest hits featuring Kelis.. ‘Bounce’ came on.  Jumping as high as we could and bouncing all over, crashing into one another, no one cared, IT WAS CALVIN HARRIS. Watching him as he downed another shot, ..’I want to see your hands in the air’, I was in absolute awe of him. Those words all artists say, yet it felt so different, a completely new meaning to put your hands in the air. Putting your hands in the air is his music, that’s what it is all about. To me it felt like freedom. 7am and it was time to catch the party bus home. I could not have wished for a better night. An astonishing performance from an outstanding artist. My love for Calvin Harris will never end, along with the memories of this night!!

What's the best gig or concert you've ever been to? xoxo

Comments