MAC Glitter & Ice: Winter 2011 collection

MAC cosmetics collection for Winter 2011 definitely supports the glitter and ice that represents Christmas and the winter season. The sparkling dazzle of the lights that illuminate Oxford Street or the Christmas baubles, the amazing clarity of the ice below your feet and how it captures your eye. MAC Glitter and Ice will capture all.


The Glitter and Ice collection is inspired by Olympic ice skater Johnny Weir. Not only is he a medal winning, pro skater but he also has a high interest in fashion. Designing some of his own costumes and designing costumes for others. He is a diva of the ice skating world, daring to trim his costumes with fox fur, and dance to Lady GAGA, one of his idols. He is the gaga of the skating wold, he dares to be daring. No one can deny that ice skating is beautiful. This is the inspiration for this collection; all that glitters, a bit diva-ish, dazzling and beautiful.


Fashion editorial? Fashion design? I want to be a designer, but I have to go to F.I.T. first and foremost because I have to learn every step of the process—the business side, the production, all of that kind of stuff. I can draw and sketch and design things and put my name on whatever I want, but it doesn’t mean that you know your craft and your job. I want to know everything. I want to be great.
What sort of design experience do you have? I design all of my costumes. I like to go out there and feel like I have contributed to every part of what I do. I choose the music, the choreographer, I’ve obviously chosen my coach, my costumes—all if that falls under my realm of power, my realm of influence. That’s something that’s very important to me, that it’s very organic and clear. I’ll start with the music and create a character in my mind and then slowly start to design around that.
Who are your design inspirations? 
Definitely this year Lady Gaga was a big inspiration of mine because she did push so many boundaries with fashion and different looks and shapes and things, that I was very inspired to go a little bit off center. Not that I don’t usually go off center—I mean, I dressed up as a swan—but just to be a little bit different with my shapes and different things that I use. And I actually was very surprised: I started to put ribs on my free-program costume, and I designed it in July or June. Then Gaga came out with the Bad Romance video and she had ribs.
So she was taking her inspiration from you? 
Perhaps! [He smirks.] No, but she’s definitely an inspiration. But I can be inspired by anything—a wet trash bag laying in a gutter could inspire me for a new kind of black shininess and things like that, so inspiration is all around.
Have you met Gaga? 
Yes, we’re good friends with her mama.
Speaking of inspirations, what inspired today’s body paint? 
Tara, my agent, actually. She said, “Why don’t we do body paint?” We work really closely with MAC cosmetics. They had an idea for the Olympic rings and the glitter and the hair. Then I’m wearing these Alexander Hotto boots—I got them in Russia, although they are Italian. And then Tsubi jeans and a Chanel watch.
The watch is so sparkly. It matches your glitter. 
I’m an ice skater. I’m all about the glitter.
[An interview with Weir from Vanity Fair]

This collection has a range of products in it, from singular items to a bundle of joy with several items within it. The collection covers all aspects, eye, lips, face and nails. Get yours before they are gone as this collection is going to skate its way off the counter very quickly!! The pieces of this collection are stunning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently went to the MAC Glitter and Ice event at Harvey Nichols in Leeds to get a preview of the holiday collection before it hits the shops! I had an amazing night. When we arrived we were greeted with cocktails and glitter covered cupcakes, we then watched some of artists use the Sultry and the Cool shadow palettes on the model as well as going through step-by-step tutorials of how they complete the look. They went through all the products they used, how they used them, what brushes were used and what tips they had for applying them! It was well worth making notes on, thanks to MAC giving us a 'Tecnique' little notebook to write down notes and what we wanted on our wishlist. After the hour long session we then headed to meet our make-up helper for the night, Thembi. She was lovely enough to show us how the palettes and such would work on us! I got persuaded to buy the sultry palette.. not that I needed much persuasion. It was a lovely night and the collection is perfect. So many things I wanted to buy, but my student status will not let me unfortunately :(!! I highly recommend this collection, stunning, beautiful and beyond all.. glittery!







The design for the box packaging is simple yet it shows the skaters tracks across it.
The brush pack continues the glitter and ice theme with a clear handle filled with glitter particles. Making them different from the normal MAC brushes. This set was £39.50 but I would highly recommend this for the price, it is a set of full size, everyday essential brushes.. only difference is the handle on the brush is smaller.






The packaging for the eyeshadow palette is absolutely stunning. It is a silver mirror with a glitter globe circle in the middle to symbolise the ice. This specific palette is Sultry, the shadows in this set are (From top left to bottom left) Black Tied, Trax, Shadowy Lady and (Top right to bottom right) Fun!, Lightfully and Festive Delight. These colours are stunning, all have a little shimmer or sparkle to them apart from Festive Delight with is a matt plum colour. You can create a range of stunning eye combinations with this palette, it adds a twist to the average smokey eye by adding plums and browns to it. This palette was £31.00

What do you think of MACs latest holiday collection? What's on your wishlist?
Lots of love xoxo


(I purchased these products and in no way am I endorsing MAC as brand, I am simply giving a review on the collection)

Comments

Post a Comment