mother nature

This post is a little unusual I'd say however I think it is quite a good topic as I know quite a lot people would like some advice on how to deal with it. I know this is a subject that most girls either don't like talking about or feel embarrassed to talk about it but we all have it. I'm hoping you've clicked onto what I'm on about now otherwise I'll just spit it out.. yes, I'm on about periods. Well this post is slightly related to that, this post is going to be on cramps and how to deal with them as I hate the cramps, they make me want to literally curl up into a ball with a big bar of Galaxy cookie crumble and feel sorry for myself. However.. over the past few years I have tried out a few different things to stop the pain, from tablets to exercise!

You can have cramps before you start or during or even both. Mine are always before so that's when I know to prepare myself. Many women do get cramps, some just slight and some quite severe. I've tried a numerous amount of tips and ways to try and stop the pain from affecting my day-to-day life at the time I get them. Thought I would give you my view on what I thought about the different options I tried. However, do bear in mind that what works for me might not necessarily work for you, always try different options.

Hot water bottle - A hot water bottle is a good way to get rid of the cramp. Lying down or being curled up with a hot water bottle does the trick. It gives you comfort and the temperature of the hot water bottle cancels out the pain. However, this is not so amazing when you have work or school to go to as you can't just walk around with a hot water bottle attached to your abdomen area, would look a little strange ha. But.. that said it is a really good option for when you are just home (probably less of a good idea in summer too!!)

Tablets - Over the past 5 years I have tried a number of different tablets that are on the market claiming to get rid of period pain and cramp. However, in my opinion I think different tablets will suit different people depending on how severe their pain is. Paracetamol didn't work for me, it wasn't strong enough, but again this could work for you. Then one time on a visit to Boots I saw Feminax tablets which I had seen advertised on the television, so I thought I would give them a go. For Feminax there is two different types, express and ultra. These have different strengths. Firstly I tried Feminax Express, yet again for me it didn't seem to hold off the pain, suggesting that mine is quite severe and needs something stronger. My mam read an article in the paper saying that Naproxen (an anti-imflammatory drug) was good for period pains. After going to the chemist we found that Feminax had a version with Naproxen in it. Bought these straight away and I have never looked back since, until late. I recently saw an advert for Neurofen period pain tablets and I bought these just to give them a go, but they aren't strong enough for my pain. For me the only tablet that seems to work is the Feminax Ultra with naproxen, for me these are a god send.. unlike the price, at nearly £5 for tablets that will last 2/3days. But yes, it's trial and error with tablets to see what suits you best.

Exercise - Apparently exercising during the period in which you have pain is good. I remember when I went to the gym in order to try and get rid of it, yet didn't work for me as my pain is severe. However, I think instead of the gym but if you have a dog, or just go with family/friends, for a nice walk to relax and it will take your mind away from the pain, obviously that won't last for the whole time but at least it will for some of the pain.

Warm bath or shower - This has the same effect as a hot water bottle, the heat disguises the pain temporarily, but it does last for a while once you have you gotten out of the shower. Not only this but the bath or shower is also relaxing, so yet again taking your mind off the pain. (a good excuse to get the candles out and some good LUSH products if you ask me!)

Heat patches - Heat patches are a great, as you can't carry a hot water bottle around work or school, with a heat patch you just put it on top your underwear in replace of where you would place a hot water bottle, having the same effect but making day-to-day life a lot more easier to get on with. These are just as effective as hot water bottles and sometimes in my opinion (along with a hot water bottle) even more effective than paracetamol or ibuprofen.

Like I've said though, these are my opinions on what I have tried and what works for me might not for you. It's trial and error over time. These are only a few of the tips and things to try too! There is a lot of advice and information out there on the good old world wide web to help you. Hope this has been helpful!

xoxo


Comments