It's a part of our history

On Saturday I went to the 129th Durham Miners Gala. This has been a tradition that has been ongoing since 1871! It started out as part of trade unions and the coal mining heritage of the Durham area.

I love it. It's such a great social occasion for many families in the area. Not only a great social occasion but as I'm a history student (nerd alert) I love the history behind it and the fact that it has such a significance to the area that I grew up in! Mining was a huge part of the North-East of England. From the show fields next to Durham river a huge mass of people begin their journey through the streets of Durham carrying the banner for their area with a different logo on each banner. Each banner is pretty big and there are people that carry it upon them, what a great honour! Usually in front of each banner that is carried there is a brass band playing local songs, it is such an amazing atmosphere. This year in front of one of the banners that was being carried was a band of Scotland's finest bag-pipe players.

The banners are such a huge part of the 'Big Meeting'. They are large pieces of silk with images on, some with politicians on, a picture of the local mine, a particular person from that area. The event and each banner brings families together to celebrate what was the biggest industry in the North-East. Even my family have connections to the coal mining industry and my grandad (who sadly isn't with us now) was a miner!

I had such a lovely! So pleased that the weather stayed dry for them.. and the sun even made an appearance, was bloomin' glorious when it did! I went with my aunty and we started off in the market square with a good old tray of chips, plenty lashings of vinegar on them. Yum. We then headed down to Elvert bridge and watched as they began to come off the show fields. Brass bands playing, sun shining and a great atmosphere. Perfect day out. However as my grandad said 'there's nothing as queer as folk', couldn't agree more with him. Some sights I sore.. one womans fake tan was in fact more orange than an umpa lumpa!!!











Hope you enjoyed this little insight into the history of my area and it's significance :-)
xoxo


Comments