my experience: university year 1 - COURSE & UNI

Writing this up while I am basking in the glorious sunshine (while it lasts!!) Tan lines are already beginning to show and I've only been relaxing on the lounger listening to the sounds of the wonderful Bob Marley for half an hour!

Any way.. back to PART 5 of my first series of 'my experience' posts. To me this is a great little insight into what university is like! In this episode I will be telling you my experience with my course (history) and giving you some tips (trust me I've learnt a lot after one year!

My course..
I am studying for a BA Honors in History. Unlike secondary school where you have 'terms', autumn, winter, spring and summer, at university you have 2 semesters. Semester 1 lasts from September/October (depending on when your course starts) until December when you break up for the Christmas period. In between this you have a holiday around the end of October time. I was genuinely shocked when I received my timetable for Semester 1.. I was in a measly 6 hours a week! That was nothing compared to the rest of my flat mates who were in a lot more hours. During the weeks of semester 1 I would have 3 lectures a week all on different modules. In the first semester you don't get to choose your modules but from then onward you can. I had to do 'Researching & Presenting the past', 'War & Society' and 'The Making of Britain'. These lectures all lasted 2 hours long or less. During these lectures you basically sit and write up what the tutors say to you in a note form, sometimes you will get given sheets with extra information or photos and such. The one thing I don't really like about my course is that fact. You sit there and write. There isn't many group tasks so it is a little more difficult to make friends. I can't really remember how I got talking to my friends in there but I'm pleased I did.
In January when you come back you have a 'reading week' where you are supposed to revise & read ready for your exams if you have any. (I took this as an opportunity to go home as I had been working all Christmas!) Once your exams are over semester 2 begins. For me this was only 8 hours a week of lectures and seminars!! I felt like I was never in but now I realise that you are supposed to do more research, read books and such, not just write up the notes and wait until your next lecture. In semester 2 the modules I did were.. 'Sport & Society', 'Contemporary Crisis' & 'Americas Century'. These lectures would consist of note taking and sometimes watching a video, documentary or a film. Again, these all lasted around 2 hours long. If it was around lunchtime you would get a break though, we would quickly pop to the SU to get a sandwich or a snack and a drink!

Assignments & Deadlines...
I remember when I got my first assignment of the year.. pretty sure it was withing the first two weeks of starting! Me and my friend literally just looked at each other clueless of where to even begin. Obviously I've wrote and essay many a time but at uni it just feels completely different! It's fair to say the majority of my essays were done the night before with cups of coffee until 3am, bad student in the making. One massive tip from is seriously do not leave them until the last minute. Begin them straight away, write out a plan and the do a little bit every so often so that it makes it less of a chore! You normally get a few weeks or a month to do them as they are normally around the 1500 to 3000 word mark.

Things to invest in...
Pens, highlighters, folders
Amazon account, writing pad, coloured pens
Big bag, library card, netbook

Tips
1. Do not leave assignments until the night before
2. Buy a few of the books from the reading list (if given one)
3. Attend all lectures & seminars
4. Don't be afraid to ask your tutors any questions!
5. Use the library
6. Research your notes and expand after lectures

I think that's about it for my take on the course itself!

PART 6 my final post in this 'my experience' series will be on what it is like living on your own!

If you have any questions for me about university or anything.. just ask me on 
TWITTER / E-MAIL / LEAVE A COMMENT

xoxo

Also stay tuned for an olympic giveaway!!


Comments

  1. Wow , these are amazing tips!!! I am pretty sure I'll use them in 3 years. Thank youuu :)!!

    http://elephantbysteph.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment