my experience: university year 1 - LIVING ON YOUR OWN

Sadly, this is my final post in this 'my experience' series! Check out my last post on what a university course is like! So, in this last post I will be sharing with you my thoughts on my experience of living on your own, tips that I have for when you go to live on your own for the first time & just general bits of information.

What is it like living on your own for the first time...
Living on your own for the first time is a scary prospect! I mean for the past 18+ years, in most cases, you have had your parents to wash your clothes, cook your tea, tidy your messes and such. It's such a different world living on your own. You have to fend for yourself, without your parents to be there for your every beck and call. Before I came to uni I could generally fend for myself but simple things such as using a washing machine to wash my clothes had never really been a highlight. I definitely had to ring my mam a few times to ask what I needed to put it.. ( definitely invest in colour catchers, lifesavers!! )

Cooking, cleaning, tidying up etc...
Cooking.. when you move you definitely need to take pans with you as you don't get provided with pots and pans and cutlery. I mean you always have the classic student meals of beans on toast (spaghetti & sausages in my case), supernoodles and pasta to fall back on if you can't be bothered to cook! Definitely recommend getting a student cookbook, they always have great quick & easy meals in.. super yummy too! In my flat we would do nights of cooking for the whole flat.. easy meals such as Thai Green Curry and Fajitas! YUM. When it comes to getting a food shop write a list of the foods you eat at home.. I'm not going to lie it is massively expensive when you get to it but luckily my dad would get me a massive food shop at the beginning of each semester! The only problem I really had with doing a food shop was that I could never bring myself to buy 'own brand' food, I had to stick with Heinz and such. Super brand addict.
So for cleaning and tidying.. definitely keep on top of your cleaning otherwise it's just rank! I learnt my lesson within the first few weeks. It took me until Christmas to invest in a hoover, great investment thought as I can take it to my new house for cleaning there too! Washing clothes, I would put all my clothes into my wash basket and wait until it was nearly full to be honest.. that might sound a little skanky but when it costs £3+ for one wash and dry it was a nightmare, especially when you had to use the dryers twice in order to get them dry!

Tips, tricks & my advice
1. I would cook big batches of food then freeze them for another time! Homemade ready meals.
2. Wash your dirty dishes as you cook and when you have finished eating. Takes two mins!
3. Invest in colour catches. Saves money as you don't have to do a colours, dark & whites wash. You can put it all in one without the worry.
4. Make sure you take pots, pans, cutlery & plates. You may even need to take a kettle and a toaster!
5. Invest in a cookbook
6. Take boxes then you can put shoes & bags in etc
7. Make your room in your flat feeling homely by putting photos up and posters! Memories.
8. Ring your parents when ever you need anything. They're always there for you! But not 24/7 ha.
I think that's about all I can think of!

So like I said.. this is the last 'my experience - university year 1'.. I've really enjoyed doing this series so no doubt there will be more my experience series in the future!
I'd love some feedback on what you lovelies think of this type of post? Useful? What other 'my experience' series would you like to see? :-) any suggestions are greatly welcomed.



If you have any questions for me about university or anything.. just ask me on 
TWITTER / E-MAIL / LEAVE A COMMENT

xoxo

Comments

  1. I totally agree! I have enjoyed reading your series. I am going into my third year now, I don't want it to end! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell me about! I can't wait for my second year to start now :-)
      xo

      Delete

Post a Comment