my experience: university year 1 - LIVING WITH OTHERS!

I hope you're enjoying this little series of posts! I wish I had seen something like this before I went to university, I think it's great to someone's opinion on their experience.. instead if this rose-tinted view that you go with. Yes, university is an experience of its own but there are still some parts and aspects of it that you will find hard, there will be trials & tribulations, you will feel down in the dumps but you will have some great memories.

So in this part of the series I'm going to be sharing with you the experience I had of living with others. Trust me, this is not one to be missed!

As I said in my post about freshers all the girls in flat got on great to start with. However for me after this the experience of living with others went completely downhill. I did make some great friends in the other flats on our floor and I'm still great friends with them now, cannot wait to see them again in September but in my flat my personal experience wasn't a great one. In the first month or so one of the girls moved out because she said we never made an effort with her.. in fairness we did, we would knock on her door and see if she wanted to watch tv with us or come out with us that night. She would just ignore us when we knocked or reply with 'I'm going out with my friends'. (I still talk to her now and we are good friends!) As she moved out we had a guy move into her room.. this was a little weird at first. I didn't mind the girls seeing me with no make-up on, in my pj's or looking a mess but with living with a guy you always feel a little self concious about these sort of things. However you do get used to it! I got on great with the girls and the guy in my flat but after one of the girls being shady about a guy I'd got with things started to go downhill badly. Myself and two other girls sat down to talk to her about our issues with her as the tension and remarks were becoming horrible. I thought that by sitting down as adults and having a conversation/discussion about our issues with one another that they would become resolved (oh I was wrong).. shady girl took the hump and said we were victimising her. I really did not see how as I sat like an adult and had a conversation. I mean how else do people expect to sort issues out? We are 18/19 for godsake, I didn't shout or anything. Anyway.. from then on me and shady girl never really got on anymore. Later on in the year, after Christmas, another one of our flatmates moved out. I was absolutely devastated as she was one of my closest friends (she only moved to another flat on the same floor but still). By this point I only really spoke to one of the girls in the flat now and I'm pleased to our friendship is great and I'm living with her from September *woo* Towards the end of my acedemic year I did feel quite lonely. History as a course is not very sociable as you mainly just sit there and write, although I do have a few friends from my course, but as the only girl in the flat I really spoke to got into a relationship I just got shoved to the side a little. Many days spent in my room ringing my best friend down Nottingham for several hour long coversations. So.. that's a little run down of the flatmates side. You do have personality clashes and problems do occur within friendships but at the end of the day you just have to sit down with them like an adult and let them know before things get too bad!

Another part of living with others is the whole kitchen area situation. This for me was a complete and utter fucking nightmare to put it bluntly. I seriously think that some people come to university without any acknowledgement that they don't have their parents to clean up after them anymore. I got sick of telling people to wash their dishes. I mean come on, it takes two seconds to wash your plate after you have finished eating and in my opinion you clean up as you go along cooking! By Christmas it was a fucking joke. I had gone away before Christmas as I had to work over the holiday period, I came back to an empty flat as they had all gone home and a horrible, disgusting kitchen. I got a call from one of the girls (before she moved out, and this is part of the reason why she moved) saying that we had bugs life in the kitchen. Even though none of it was my mess I had to clean it up. Pissed off was not the phrase to express how angry I was. When they came back and I told them not one of them said thank you for cleaning my mess up and I'l make sure that it doesn't happen again. So the horribly messy kitchen carried on throughout the year, at time I ended up having to wash EVERYONES dishes but towards the end of the year I thought fuck off clean them yourself, so I just washed my dishes up only.

Noise is also something that you have to deal with when living with others. Everyone goes out to party on different nights so you have to contend with party music from your flat, other flats (above and next to). There really isn't anything you can do about it but get on with it and invest in ear plugs ha! I mean for me this wasn't too bad but some nights when you're tired or you have a lecture early you do just sit and think to yourself hurry up and go out before I throw your speakers out the window you inconsiderate bastards haha.

I think that's just about everything covered in a shortened version. I could on for hours trust me! I hope this hasn't put you off living with others as everyone is different, so everyone's experience of living with others will be different. This is just my personal experience.


PART 5 will be on the general course itself.. deadlines and such

If you have any questions for me about university or anything.. just ask me on 
TWITTER / E-MAIL / LEAVE A COMMENT

xoxo

Comments