my experience: university year 1 - MOVING OUT!!

Can't believe my first year has finished already! Seems like yesterday that I started a new sixth form, made new friends and had a ball of time.. now I've passed my first year and reading my advanced material ready for semester 1 of year 2, this shit cray! So much fun, laughter, tears, sadness, arguements and unforgetable times from my first year. I want to give you my experience from my first year, I'm not saying it will be the same for you, this is just my experience. First of all I want to say that I don't think university is how everyone makes it out to be before you go.. I remember when people said to me it was the best time of your life, it's easy and great fun. Yeah, they mention all the good points but don't mention the trials & tribulations that you have to go through!! So my first piece of advice.. don't enter university with rose tinted glasses on because in my opinion you need to be prepared.
Your moving out for the first time, for a long time! You have to fend for yourself, make decisions without your parents and have to become a lot more grown up in a matter of months. Your first year teaches you a number of important life skills, well I certaintly know that my frist year did! So here goes, my experience of my first year.. (I'm really sorry this series is a long talky kind of ramble of my experience)

I'm going to post this as a series of posts so it isn't too long..

Moving in and my first few days..
So here is a little background information before I get going.. I study BA Hons History at York St John university and I lived in halls accommodation (Percy's Lane). Moving in on the first day was a scary prospect. Leaving all my friends from home and leaving my family for more than one week, fair to say I was shitting it. I mean yeah, don't get me wrong I can cope away from home for a week (Ibiza holiday proved so!) but I've never been away from home for longer than that! This was going to be a great bloody test of how I can cope. I mean when you live at home with your parents you really do take things for granted, such as having your tea cooked, getting your clothes washed and just generally being looked after especially when you feel poorly. I already knew the names of the people that I was going to be sharing my home with for the next 9months.. Luckily for our university & halls somebody had made a page for our residence, so I got to Facebook the girls I was going to be living with. I had a panic attack when I found out I was living with all girls, my worst nightmare. All I could think about was how bitchy it was going to be, which was what I didn't want. So initially I dreaded it, but after talking to them a little through Facebook and having a little nosey over their page I thought they seemed alright! We all seemed to get on like a house on fire the first night. All seemed good and I was quite happy! So there was 5 of us in one flat together. On the second night we thought that we would get to know the people in the flats on the same floor as us. On our floor there were 6 flats altogether. We all gathered together in the corridor separating us all an played ring of fire, a good excuse to get drunk and to get to know one another better! The first few days you really don't miss home as you have so much going on.. getting to know new people, acquainting yourself with the area, sorting out your room and such. The first few weeks and months of uni is the best time of your first year in my opinion!

Coming up next... Freshers fortnight!!


If you have any questions for me about university or anything.. just ask me on 
TWITTER / E-MAIL / LEAVE A COMMENT

xoxo


Comments