book review: Labyrinth

Hello :)!! Recently finished this book.. I used to love reading when I was younger but when I got year 9/10 onwards I just seemed to stop. Fair to say my social life took over. However, since going to university I have rekindled my love for being a huge bookworm! Being at uni, and even more so on my course, you have to do a lot of reading outside of class. The first book (non-uni related) that I picked up was a book a lot of people were hyping around at the time.. 'One Day'. Fair to say, in my opinion, this book definitely lived up to it's hype, I completely loved it and it had all the factors it should have about a book, shock, love, emotion and gripping! At this point I still hadn't seen the film either but as soon as I finished I did.. massive disappointment to be honest. BOOKS ARE ALWAYS BETTER THAN FILM!! 

Anyway back to the actual review! I picked Labyrinth up from a charity shop for a bargain price of 99p!! It was either this book or a Philipa Gregory book but as I hadn't read either, I read the first page of each and Labyrinth took my interest most. Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (important: not the model) is a story of three secrets, two women separated by 800years, and one grail. Alais and Alice Tanner are two women separated by 800 years but have the same destiny bound in them. The book goes through hard times in Carcassonne, France, when religion is a subject to divide many a opinion. During these hard times Alais is given a task by her father to protect the Book of Words and make sure that the grail stays with who is should. Fast forward 800years and Alice Tanner is on sight of an archaeological dig, while wandering she finds a boulder with something hidden beneath it. As she tries to retrieve the item the boulder falls an uncovers a cave. This cave contains a grave with two skeletons, a ring, an altar and the signs of a labyrinth & ankh. Alice does not realise the journey that she is about to embark on when she discovers these!

I really enjoyed this book! It was gripping and definitely kept me reading on to find out what happened to the grail, and see what happened to Alais & Alice. Although, I do have to say that in parts I did think it was a little rambly. Apart from that I thought it was a really interesting book! Definitely a book that catches your imagination, spinning you into the past and back to the present, both eras trying to protect the grail. I would give this book probably an 8 out of 10 and I recommend this book!!


As soon as I finished this book I felt a little lost with not carrying a book with me 24/7 or having a book to read in bed.. so as soon as I finished I picked up one of my dad's girlfriends book 'The Queens Fool' by Philipa Gregory! Already a way into this after only beginning to read this yesterday and I'm definitely enjoying it. I do have to say there is a little link between this book and 'Labyrinth' in the fact that they both have a little to do with religion, Heretics and such. But definitely going to be reading some more of her books when I finish this one.

What books are you reading at the minute? Would love to hear your book recommendations for me!
xoxo

Comments

  1. I have this on my bookshelf & I havent got round to reading it yet! I have just finished reading The girl with the dragon tattoo books & Cold Mountain & they were pretty good haha! & Of course, the film is always 100x better! :D xx

    www.satinandsouffles.com
    www.satinandsouffles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely need to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! Read The Hunger Games? Not sure whether to read them or not!
      I'd definitely say give Labyrinth a read! :-)
      xo

      Delete

Post a Comment