from my hometown

Hello everyone! Recently I got contacted by the lovely Emily informing of a competition being run by Walton Robinson, a property agent in Newcastle. The competition is closed but she wondered if I'd like to blog about my five personal favourite places in Newcastle. I absolutely loved the idea. Newcastle is my home town and when I'm at uni I always cannot wait to get back. Contrary to Geordie Shore, it's not all about getting drunk and tashing on. The atmosphere of the place is electric, the people are genuine and lovely and there is so much to do and see!
From day to night, family to friends and weekends there is something for everyone to do in Newcastle. As much as I've been a Newcastle explorer from being a baby and countless adventures with my nana and cousins when I was younger, I'm going to share with you my top five places to go if you're ever visiting for the weekend or even if you're a local but you just haven't been before!

Jesmond Dene
For as long as I can remember Jesmond Dene has to be one of the most beautiful places in the City Centre of Newcastle. Ever since I was little I have made trips there. Visiting the animals in 'pets corner', feeding them and going on a trail around the dene come summer or winter was always a favourite of mine. With Chapel ruins, the Giants footsteps (maybe that was only my family that called them that), a huge park and a lovely house which often holds events. It's a place of tranquility and adventure. I remember one winter when my nana took me and my cousins to one of the events at Jesmond Dene House and we sipped mulled wine (well my nana did anyway, I was only 8), made mint mice and wreaths for the door. All year there is something to do there and it's just a lovely place.


Fenwicks
Okay, so you might be thinking why have you put a department store as one of your favourite places in Newcastle.. I'll tell you why.. Ever since I was little it's been a part of the average week. Whether it was shopping with my mama or going to the toy department with my nana. Countless hours spent looking and playing with the toys. Not only that but Fenwicks Christmas window visit is a family tradition of mine. Every year for as long as I can remember I have been to visit the magic sight that is Fenwicks Christmas window! Every year it tells a different story, the year of 2012 brings you the story of what's in the train. Another thing I love about Fenwicks is the amazing food hall! I'm a girl who loves her food and boy o boy do they have some lovely delights, I especially love the cupcakes.. my nana often has one ready for me when visiting from university!!

Art & Culture
The world under one roof. I adore this place, if you ever take me to a museum or an art gallery I'm forever yours. Living in the North-East there isn't many museums that hold as much as this does! London is the most well known for it's natural history museum and the tate modern but what about Newcastle?! We certainly have art galleries and museums to rival that of our capitals! From the Great North Museum that holds live animal tanks, relics from Ancient Greece, a planetarium, a reconstruction of Hadrians Wall as well as a hell of a lot more, to the Discovery Museum where science and history collide. I loved this place when I was kid and still enjoy it now! Art galleries, we have the Baltic, the Laing, the Biscuit Factory and more. They all show something different and amazing. 
The Laing art gallery recently held an exhibition of Quentin Blake's illustrations. You may remember him from illustrating books such as The Twits.

The Cut
Being a Geordie I obviously love a good night out and for me most nights end up at The Cut. Newcastle's secret. Gotham for some trebles then hit up The Cut. It's completely the opposite of Newcastle's favourite clubs such as Koo's or Florita's or TupTup.. it's dirty, unruly, not brilliantly decorated but the atmosphere, the people and the music are what makes the place. If you want to go somewhere and not spend the night posing in front of the IamVIP camera and just want somewhere to have a good old dance then this is the place. Thursday nights are my favourite, dubstep drum & bass. Nearly every night of the week they have a different genre of music, Mondays are another favourite of mine indie night. 


Ice Rink
Okay I'm in full on Christmas mode now. Sat with a cuppa, writing this & listening to my newly made Christmas playlist full of all those good hits!! Every year the Life Science Centre in Newcastle has an ice rink from around November until nearly the end of February! What's better than wrapping up in your favourite faux fur pieces, sticking some boots and going for a skate. Every time that I have been I cannot physically let go of the sides ha, I hold on for dear life. (someone teach me how to skate & buy me a mulled cider tehe) Fun for all the family. Whether you can skate or not it's a good laugh.

Vote for your favourite place in Newcastle by checking out the competition here
twitter: @WRNewcastle

What are your favourite places in Newcastle if you're a local like me.. or share with me your favourite places of your hometime! :-)
Love xoxo

Comments