Beningbrough Hall & Gardens

What a lovely bank holiday weekend it has been. Glorious sunshine. Typical that for 75% of it I have been in bed feeling sorry for myself with a cold. However, on Saturday I had invited my wonderful mama to come and visit me. Whenever she comes down I never know what we should do, but with the lovely sunshine I jumped at the opportunity to make the most of it, especially as the rest of the week had been rainy, glum and miserable. 

Google always comes in handy. I searched 'things to do in York in the summer'. An array of places came up but after mama driving 2 hours to get here I didn't want her to trek too far. So, Beningbrough Hall and gardens became our destination. After a quick pit-stop at Tesco for picnic goodies and a mere 10 minute drive we had arrived.

Bright blue sky, green grass and a beautiful straight driveway leading up to the black gates of Beningbrough Hall. Beningbrough Hall is part of the National Trust and I am beyond happy that I stumbled across it. 

The gardens were beautiful. I could just have imagined myself in the 1800s. A cup of tea, a book and afternoon tea on the lawns. Idyllic doesn't cover it. A greenhouse full of Moroccan Black grape vines and a vegetable patch that even Alan Titchmarsh would be jealous of. Asparagus, peas, lettuce, potatoes. Blossom trees and palm trees, it looked far from your average English manor in the countryside, it was verging on exotic! After a bite to eat in the glorious gardens it was on into the hall itself. 

Being a history student I seem to thrive off information, so apparently I thought I'd be cool picking up one of those audio devices that when you type in a number it tells you more about what you're looking at it. It was bloody great. In the entrance of the hall it is filled with paintings, you know, the kind of important people pictures. Dukes, earls and politicians. I learned a lot from this audio narration. The paintings throughout Beningbrough had actually been donated by The National Portrait Gallery, a selection of paintings from the 17th & 18th Century. Hung in the beautifully baroque entrance it set the scene for the whole of the house. Endless foreign influences. 

A truly beautiful day out. Full bellies, slightly burnt from the sun and a widened knowledge, along with a few silly laughs in the dress up area. That is a perfect combination for a wonderful day out. If you're ever in the area I'd definitely recommend a trip to Beningbrough Hall and Gardens!

Top - Topshop / Floral trousers - H&M / Boots - Topshop / Bag - Primark







For now, speak soon. I'm currently snot filled, wrapped in my duvet and praying that Lemsip Max cold and flu rids this horrible beast from me. Hope you all had a lovely bank holiday and made the most of that glorious sunshine x

Comments